September 24, 2008

110908

Just arrived in London today!!!! We were actually very excited about it until we saw the queue for the customs! I think there were 70 or more people before me and we had to wait for one hour before it’s our turn. Just when we were relieved about having to reach the counter, the person directed us to the health control department. We were like *^&%&#@#@$#%@ because we had to wait for another hour before we finally pass through the customs. While we were complaining about having to spend like 2 freaking hours before passing the customs, some funny people approach us and ask us funny questions like where are you from, why are you here, which flight did you take, etc…… When we reached the baggage retrieval place, we couldn’t find our baggage since we have been stranded at the customs for 2 hours and decided to approach the customer service. Seriously, I think that they are really kind of racist or should I say that they have the super bo chup tone I have ever heard lor! Anyway, we found our baggage being placed outside the conveyor belt (I think it has been circulating for too long a period of time) and realized that my bag was kinda dirty. I’m just glad that they didn’t attempt to cut my bag up and my straps are still intact.

Anyways, we went to buy the oyster card and boarded the tube (aka mrt) Everything was good. The train didn’t contain dubious figures, no urine or feaces on the floor, seats have cushion and even armrest.
p/s: It is more comfortable than Singapore actually.

We headed to our hostel first before going for the interview since our backpack was rather heavy. Sasa’s one was 16kg and mine 11kg thus we figured we can’t walk much if we carried them along. We got bad news that we can’t check in cause we can only do it after 2pm but LUCKILY, we can deposit our backpack till we check in later.

The interview didn’t go as well as we expected since the first thing the interviewer asked was whether we had experience in the first place and when we answered no, he became kind of reluctant to employ us. Another minus point is that he wants us to run all over the place to get to the venue of the catering place and it’s as if we know how to navigate around lor! He asked us to think about it and get back to him after we have discussed because he even suggested that he might only take sasa since she has experience in serving tea and coffee. I’m thinking “Does it take a full range of training to train me? Maybe they need us to remember tea names like Earl grey and fermented tea and stuff like that…” Anyways, sasa and I discussed and decide to forgo this offer since it’s gonna be very hard to navigate, only one of us might get employed, they don’t provide accommodation and the jobs seems to be a little unsecure since it will be very dependent on what kind of assignments they have.

We then decided to walk around London since we are already out and went to see the map. While trying out to figure where the hell are we, a staff from starbucks offered us a sample of mango+orange drink and seriously, it tastes nice~!!! (we may be a little thirsty to care about how tasty it is. keke) We started our walk to Tower of London and London Bridge since they are located next to each other and I am kind of excited to see the London bridge. What I actually know is that the Tower of London is a place where Queens are executed, princesses were murdered, they make mint (coins) there, there are a lot of traitors being brought in there (they even have a traitor’s gate for it!!!) and they store a lot of jewels inside a room). We didn’t bother to buy tickets and go in because we reached there at like 5 plus and the place looks too huge for us to finish exploring.

We then moved on to the London Bridge and it was painted blue! OMG!!!!!!!!!!! It was kind of gross~~~~ but I figure if they didn’t bother to reconstruct it, the song that we always know will be become  London bridge has fallen down, fallen down ……..

We decided to search for the Monument which commemorates the fire that engulfed London a long time ago and apparently, the structure is so insignificant that we totally missed it. Maybe we would be going back to London in search of the Monument! We then head for the London Eye since there is so much hooha about it. Before heading for our destination, we crossed a millennium bridge that allows only people to walk across it and we saw Tate Modern collection. It was a power station before it was converted into museum and we didn’t went in to explore since we were quite eager to see the London Eye.

Personally, I did not see the Singapore Flyer up close but they looked exactly alike! 0_o|||| I know that Singapore is the one who copied the idea but I didn’t expect it to be exactly the same. Nothing much about it that I could blog since everybody has seen the Singapore Flyer. Across the bridge, we saw Big Ben!!!! It was marvelous and there’s nothing I could use to describe it. I think the Big Ben is the iconic structure of London since everybody is telling me to see the Big Ben when we’re in London. Haven’t read my guide on what it is used for and stuff. Once I do, I prolly will update in the blog ( that is if I even remember it at all!! HAHAH)

After that, we head back to hostel since it’s getting late and everybody tells me that London is a dangerous place especially at night and we figured that we shall not take any risk if it is possible. Back in hostel, we just bathed and ate a super duper big burger for 2.70 pounds, it was very filling and I fear that I might get fat when I come back to Singapore. so please don’t be shocked if you can’t recognize me when I come back to Singapore.

No comments: