June 06, 2004

AnOtHeR uPdaTe~

Warning! Today’s a complain session so you can just skip this whole lot if you hate to see me whining over some minute stuffs. No in depth session today!
Today, my day is all well until now. Went to practice in the morning and came back for a nap. That’s all so sweet until I received a phone call from my brother’s classmate’s parent who lectures me about what I should do to help my brother to do better in his studies because his grades aren’t close to ideal. Oh damn, is it my fault that my brother isn’t doing well? Even if I wanted to push him, he would just be lazing around, doing everything else but study. Is it my fault that he didn’t want to study? Who is she to come and talk all the damn stuffs with me? it’s as if I am the one responsible for all his studies. Tell me things like “you should help him, you know? You are his sister. He has language problem you know?” I bet she thinks my command of language is good but unfortunately, my grades in the English language if failing and I can’t seem to know why myself and somebody comes and tell me that you should help your brother that kind of thing. (as my blog is read by people whom I know or are civilized people, I shall attempt to be as civilized as possible in order to keep the image I always had) but I damn pissed. Oops…… guess I can’t do much when I’m too pissed now.
It’s not that I don’t know that my brother isn’t that intellectual as he don’t go to top notch schools and does not score straight A’s but so do I? But I eventually manage to scrape through. My brother is sec 3 and you want me to pass my kind of system to him? I mean students that age have their own set of thinking and I really do not wish to become a bossy sister to tell him what he should do as I will be damn angry if my parents asked me to things not the way I wanted it. Something that I was angry other than that, she (the parent) has to tell me that his son has autistic(I don’t what the heck is that. Suppose it’s people who has language problem too) and can score two A’s for his mid year examination and one of them is self studied. I agree the it’s really an accomplishment especially that the fact that the self-studied subject is Additional mathematics but Do I care whether her son gets two A’s for his mid year examinations? NO! later, she’s telling me the logic that it doesn’t matter if the child has language problem, he will do well under supervision. Don’t you think that she’s implying to me that it’s my parents are not making the effort thus my brother can’t do well for his studies. Oh please! Do you think will there ever be parents in Singapore that do not care about their child’s grade? Near impossible I say. In actual fact, my parents are extremely worried with my brother’s grade and they tried to push him to study but he simply doesn’t move. What can we do? Sometimes, he has this attitude problem that really irks me but his under puberty so I deem this as part of a natural cycle. By the way, her son listens to her. Different people has different characters and we can’t do things all by one way. Maybe my brother is talented in other things like art or some unidentified talent that has not been uncovered? Why can’t we develop in something that he excels in rather then trying to push him to study. However, in Singapore, academic is deemed as the most important in a child’s life above all the others. Thus, my brother is just an unfortunate soul that lingers in Singapore, trying his best to do something that he can’t excel. To think of my brother’s classmate, I wonder whether he will become crazy after his mother push him too much. I’m not cursing him but it seems that this child is under tremendous pressure.
Actually, I wanted to elaborate on Singapore’s education system but I guess all of us know it too well that it will be rather pointless to rewrite the whole story about education.
Today’s a crap session as I said earlier so I really appreciate all those who read it.