June 23, 2004

dreams-part 2(diverted to money) =P

Today is a bright shiny day and miraculously, I woke at 0830h! sorry for the silly introduction but I really felt that way. :D I’m going to touch on my dreams section again. I was pondering whether I should write on dream lover or dreams or dream life. The decision has been made and I have decided to write on dream life, dream lover and dreams will be other parts of the dream series!
What’s your dream life? For me, my dream life is to earn a humongous amount of money so that I do not have to hesitate when I want to buy anything. Next, I want to have a great husband and no children. I don’t really like children after my experience with them yesterday. I do not deny that they are cute and cuddly sometimes, but the amount of terror they actually do is far more than when they are cute. when they actually grow into teenage years, we have to worry about their circle of friends, their academic grades, their safety on roads and more that I do not wish to elaborate. When they do not get married by 30, you will start to worry whether they will remain a bachelor or spinster for life. I’m still not sure why there is stigma where being single is something that is not desirable. Can the reason be that we are made into this world to be attached? Married? Have children? Got carried away again. Haha… thirdly, I want to live happily ever after. After some surveying, many people want to lead my life too(maybe except they want to have children)
Here, we are faced in a situation where a lot of people are obsessed with money and all of them want to have a dream lover. I shall proceed to touch upon to the obsession of money. Personally, I feel that I have quite a high degree of this obsession and it may be due to my family background. There’s a Chinese saying where we can’t live without money. Something that I feel it’s really true but to think of it, how did money come about? Why do people want to make something called money? For their ego to showoff their power? Or to balance up a system whereby the intellectual, creative and hardworking ones get the right amount of money they earn? Personally, I think the last one is the ideal to my question. I do not deny that there’s an existence of such a group of people and they are ultimately the richest ones around. (I can’t quote any examples. Maybe Bill Gates? The creator of Creative?) care to share examples if you know of any? But there are also very rich people who just lived off other people’s wealth like Victoria Beckham, Paris Hilton and fellow sister. I’m sure many girls are envy of them as they could buy all the things that they possibly want, be it Gucci, hmm… I’m bad at branded goods, getting to know famous and handsome guys and posing for photographs for magazines and all. Dream life for most girls. Guess maybe luck does play a part in the amount of wealth we could own in our lifetime. I guess the inventor of money really makes our life difficult, with everybody slogging their life to earn only a shrimp sum of money and the worse thing is we can’t really save it up as we have to buy everyday necessity and our wants. I feel that it’s our wants that actually suck up all the money we have. Thus we are stuck in a vicious cycle that we will normally spend the amount the earned. I feel that it’s hard to actually break this cycle given the fact that many people, especially girls value their wants as part of necessity if you understand what I mean. I’ve not been in the society just yet but I think with all the peer pressure we get during work where we will some bitches commenting about what their colleagues wear and squeak over colour mismatch, we are usually embarrassed. Let’s face it! How can you ever avoid such gossips when you are a girl yourself. Personally, I think I will not be able to stand it. I know all about being yourself and that kind of stuffs but can we actually practice it in real life. Hardly, I say.
So how do we break out of this cycle? Investments? Shrimp and save like aunties who will complain when there’s a difference of 10 cents in different supermarkets? Or just marry a rich significant other? Let us analyse the possible outcomes to my suggested answers.
Investing in shares is the most possible to break out of the cycle but it’s also the most dangerous of all my suggested solutions because you never know that you may dig deeper to your grave. If you don’t understand what I mean, think about the 1997 crisis where there are many people jumping down buildings and bankruptcy numbers shot up? Know the reason behind it? Shares. We are hit by the economic crisis in like 95 or 96 and the stocks has plunged way low in 1997, thus a lot of people ASSUMED that the shares are bound to bounce back in no time and they hope that it will be an opportunity where they can make it big at last. Please note that most of these people are from middle class where they have their own home from their hard-earned money but not enough hard cold cash to invest. Therefore their strategy is to mortgage everything that they own and invest it all into the shares. You don’t have to guess what happened next. With news about people jumping down the buildings, you are not expecting the shares to soar. Maybe it’s due to the fact that they cannot accept their failure. They are really selfish people because when they leave this world for the other, their kins have to bear the consequences which are normally the innocent parties with little or no ability to work. Therefore, investing in shares are dangerous because it’s really unpredictable and you may lose a bundle in a matter of days. I shall not discuss the other investments as I’m not really sure about them. The reason being they didn’t make it into prime news so I can’t be bothered actually.
Next strategy is to shrimp and save, I feel that it’s a long process and the results are not really evident. In a long term, it’s really saves quite a bit of money but some shoppers overdo it. For example, there are some people who took a cab that may cost about 10 bucks to get a free bottle that may only cost for about 5 bucks. You may think it’s stupid, but it really happened as I came across news of this. So save when you can but do not overdo it.
To marry the rich significant other may be the fastest solution but will it last? I may elaborate on it in the later issues.
However, in another light, with everybody working hard and all, the world progresses towards new dimensions and creations at a faster pace. I have been always fascinated by the creations. For example the creations in ig’s heaven and molecule. When I pass by these type of shops, I never fail to go in and take a look at the newest creations, be it a simple paperweight or just a thermometer. Maybe it’s due to the fact that I never had a creative mind in the first place. Haha…
Oh no! I’m have diverted my topic to money. Will elaborate on dream life next issue. My brain cells are totally dead now so I can’t really continue to talk about this topic. Maybe I will add certain points when I think of it. :D
Cheers!

1 comment:

Wind said...

hey, thanks for responding to my blog so quickly! sorry i haven't updated for a long time.. the inspiration only came recently.. i'll try to update my blogs more frequently :P

with regards to your blog, i do have some comments again. not really comments, perhaps we could take it as an exchange of ideas, or simply a "conversation". i have a question: are you glad that you're born into this world? if 20 years ago, your mum had the same mentality, a person as unique and outstanding as you would not have come to this world. you wouldn't have been able to taste the sweetness and bitterness of life. your bf would not have met you. i wouldn't be writing this comment now. now that's a sad thought! so why don't you try to think about this issue in another way, and give yourself and "the child" a chance. that's comment number one.

comment number two. singapore, like some of the more affluent countries, practise material worshipping. we might say that since singapore is such a small land and can only rely on our human resources, this outcome seems to be inevitable. i beg to differ. as you've said, when a person's wants becomes excessive, the need to earn more money arises. i always believe that without this extra need, the burden of live would be greatly lessened and our existence on earth might actually be enjoyable. what's the point of living if our lives revolves around the 9 - 5 (and sometimes OT) cycle? that's why my aim in life has always been keeping my wants in check, prefably bench-marking them against my needs.

for example, i need to travel and get to know the world better, because i feel trapped and closed in and "a frog in the well" when i stay in singapore for too long. but i do not need to take a first class airline to fly to my destination. i do not need to splurge on clothings, i do not need to live in a posh hotel. all i need is to get out of singapore once in a while, be in by bus or even by train... which probably means that i will never be able to find a girl who wants a material lifestyle. which is fine by me too, except i'd probably have to spend more time finding my perfect girl.

but i digress.

anyway, i've reached the end of my comments for the day.. i hope you're taking it with an open mind. they are just my views anyway :) your blogs always invoke strong rebuttal urge in me. which is good! keep up your good blogs.