June 17, 2004

dReAmS-- PaRt 1

I was deadbeat from the two performances I had in one weekend so it has prevented my brain cells from working for a while. But today, I'm totally free of stress and with adrenaline pumping all over me,
I believe most of us have dreams.
Let's explore about dream jobs. Dreams of being on screen seems to be one of the most common dream for girls including the past me. Being on screen seems to be the most glamorous job that anybody can have. Wearing pretty and expensive clothing and able to kiss handsome actors(like Brad Pitt) and seems to send girls into seventh heaven. All of them seem to lead a luxurious life and thus it seems to be the most perfect job in the whole world, is there anything more to ask for? However, I beg to differ. In these few years of pondering what shall I pursue in my life, I suddenly found out that being an onscreen performer(especially when you are a female) is the worst job you can ever have. It may seem that I must be stupid or idiotic to for me to say that but I will support my stand with things that you may have neglected.
Let’s see, we shall discuss about the show that everybody knows, American Idol. It has nothing to do with Simon Cowell and whoever the other judges are. Apparently, I have never watched a single episode of it. Personally, I feel that’s it’s a fabulous show as it uncovers real talents and gives a strand of hope to those who are in difficult situations.(like the latest winner who is a single mum) But why didn’t I catch a single episode of it? I can’t be bothered to be watching this show as it may become addictive. Mind you, I have many other better things to do then trying to catch every single episode of American Idol every week. No offence to those who are in love with the show. I just don’t wish the restrict my social activities by this show.
From the information I gather from my friends who catch this show, everybody sings very well in the show(of course, they are chosen from thousands of people. If they can’t sing, the production team should really consider sacking Simon and fellow judges). So it boils down to training and understanding themselves, luck and popularity. The first two criteria really depends on the participants themselves as nobody can motivate and understand themselves more than their own. Luck depends on god and the last depends on the audiences and the judges. Out of the four criteria that I listed, popularity seems to be the most important factor. If the audiences don’t like you, out you go as they are the consumers. Thus it’s really important of how you present yourselves in front of the judges and the audiences.
Thus, appearance is one of the most important aspects of surviving in the singing industry. You beg to differ? An example to support my stand is Rubin and Clay. Rubin became the winner of American Idol but Clay is the one who is distributing the second album. Therefore my conclusion is that having the voice isn’t everything. The world wants to be fair but can it? No. However, it does not mean that people who are not of the ideal weight or looks are not going to be good stars. Christina Aguilara is one fine example that weight isn’t everything and I’m all for her. Her voice is good! Anybody with horrendous looks? I can’t think of any now? If you know of any please inform me. glad to hear it from you.
There’s another industry that looks and appearances are the most important above all others. The movie industry. it’s very evident when you start to hear criticisms from fashion designers about how did the stars wear for formal occasions and there’s even a top ten list for wearing terribly. If it happens to me, I will probably kill the fashion designer! I’m sorry for being too critical but what’s the heck is the fashion designer trying to bother about how people wear? Go and design your own clothes and just shut your mouth. Oops…. When actresses start to grow wrinkles when they are 40(which is normal), other people start to freak out and say that the actresses are old and should just leave the movie industry. however, if the actresses do not have wrinkles when they hit 40, they will start to say the actresses went for plastic surgery. What a paradox! So what should they do? I suggest they commit suicide before 40 so that people will not see their wrinkles at all. My point is that getting old is a no-no in the movie industry. Even young actresses are victims of plastic surgeries when they have a slight change in their faces. People will change as they go through different type of stages and experience different things like joy or depression thus I deem slight changes in face to be natural. Another no-no in movie industry is to be fat. This is one of the problems that nearly all girls are faced with. Not being the ideal shape seems to be a sin and they got all depressed when they gain 0.5kg of weight. They start to complain and look for easy alternatives like slimming pills. (I’m sure that if I’m going into this slimming industry, I’m going to get rich!) Stars get criticized when they gain weight and the actresses will normally sought help from slimming centers and become their representatives. The worst thing that I found out is that the reporters don’t even let ex-actresses go. My goodness! I can see that they are really desperate for news. Haha… Once the actresses are not of ideal weight, it seems that the chance of them getting on screen will also decrease except for Lydia Sum? Maybe I should correct my point that actresses can only go to the extremes and not the average build.
Especially in Hong Kong where there is abundance of tabloid reporters, the lives of onscreen performers seem terrible. Imagine people scavenging your rubbish to find out what you are eating, being stalked by people and not having any personal space. I cannot imagine how my life will go on, I will probably go crazy. I’m not blaming the tabloid reporters as they need to do such stuffs in order to keep money rolling into their bank account. Who would want to scavenge other people’s rubbish in the first place?
Therefore, I conclude that being a star is torturous even though it may seem glamorous at first. Heehee… dreams part two will be out soon!



No comments: